phoenixfalls (
phoenixfalls) wrote2026-06-29 09:02 pm
Entry tags:
First Lines Meme
Over on tumblr,
sanguinity tagged me to post the first lines of my last ten fics. Cross-posting here, because why not? Anyone who would like to play, please do!
1. Xenk was hot.
I tagged this post on tumblr with "I gotta start writing more interesting opening sentences." There's nothing wrong with them, per se - they're all perfectly serviceable - but there's only two of them that I think have much impact as sentences, the rest of them are just functional introductions to the start of the action. I promise the fics are more interesting!
Xenk and Ed in the Yard, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Edgin Darvis/Xenk Yendar
2. Tell the Queen that Delaunay’s other pupil has done her bidding!
Fate So Entwined (The In Ysandre's Name Remix), Kushiel's Dart, Ysandre de la Courcel & Phedre no Delaunay
3. When Piotr Miles Vorkosigan turned eight, the thing he wanted most in the world was a horse.
Magnetic North (The Toward or Away Remix), Vorkosigan Saga, Gen
4. Cordelia returned home from the University to find Aral already deep in the bottle.
Cold Fear of Some Pretended Future (The Green Silk Room Remix), Vorkosigan Saga, Aral Vorkosigan/Cordelia Vorkosigan
5. Ed knew he was blowing things out of proportion.
Make Makin' It Your Intention, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, Edgin Darvis/Xenk Yendar
6. Sheppard touched the panel and the world transformed around them.
This Mortal Armour That I Wear, Stargate Atlantis, Ronon Dex/John Sheppard
7. Keith wound long strips of the two tartans around Ewen’s and Alison’s loosely clasped hands, through and under and around again, tucking the ends into their waiting grips.
An Irregular Tying of Knots, The Flight of the Heron, Ewen Cameron/Alison Grant/Keith Windham
8. Aral reeked of that hillman’s rotgut he had a commoner’s taste for.
Outlive the Bastards, Vorkosigan Saga, Aral Vorkosigan/Ges Vorrutyer, Kareen Vorbarra/Serg Vorbarra
9. "Here, have a strawberry"
Lazy Morning in the Burke-Caffrey Household, White Collar, Elizabeth Burke/Peter Burke/Neal Caffrey
10. JJ took Hotch in marksmanship.
The Right Combinations, Criminal Minds, Aaron Hotchner/Jennifer "JJ" Jareau
I tagged this post on tumblr with "I gotta start writing more interesting opening sentences." There's nothing wrong with them, per se - they're all perfectly serviceable - but there's only two of them that I think have much impact as sentences, the rest of them are just functional introductions to the start of the action. I promise the fics are more interesting!